STEP 1 - CREATE 3 ZONES IN YOUR ROOM:
Begin by sorting your clothes, section by section, into three piles. The clothes you want to keep should remain in your closet, but the other 3 piles should be:
STEP 2 - EVALUATE YOUR DONATE/TOSS PILES:
Ask yourself, why is each item in this pile?
• Is the fit off, and the tailor can’t fix it? (tight arms or body, too-wide shoulders, too short, etc?)
• Did the item not quite fit in with the rest of your wardrobe?
• Does the garment still have the tags on it, months or even years later?
• Did you have trouble finding ways to combine the garment in a way you liked?
• Did you buy the garment on a whim? because it was on sale?
• Did the garment wear out faster than you expected?
• Did the garment mysteriously end up with holes, fraying edges, or loose seams?
STEP 3 - DONATE/TOSS:
• Put your donation items into clearly labeled boxes and bring them to either of our thrift store locations.
• Throw your worn, torn, stained, covered in pet hair items into trash bags and dispose of as you see fit.
STEP 4 - GO TO THE TAILOR, COBBLER & DRY CLEANERS:
Make an effort to get your garments and accessories to the right place. Take shoes to the cobbler for new soles and a polish, get the sleeves of that coat shortened, and dry clean jackets before tucking them back into storage.
STEP 5 - PREPARE FOR NEXT WEEK:
We will be cleaning out the kids closets!
Are you taking on the Family Closet Clean Out Challenge with us? Do you have additional tips for decluttering your home? Leave a message with your ideas!